Planning Information

Planning Information

Planning – an introduction.


There have been recent incidents of Prior Notification requests for Change of Use and for various building works.  In order to clarify matters, here are links to two brilliant websites that explain matters in laymans terms.

Change of Use Class and Prior Notification

Building Works and Prior Notification 

Let’s be honest, the only time most of us have any dealings with planning is when the neighbours want to build an extension, or a new residential development is planned in your neighbourhood.  Planning is a very sensitive issue, especially when we feel that our lives may be negatively affected.  It is worth mentioning that not all planning is ‘bad’ planning.

Below we highlight links to various documents which may help you to deal with planning matters.  If you are confused or concerned, it may be that one or more of these documents will be able to help.  Don’t forget that you can always call the planning case officer and ask questions for clarification of points.  Should you wish to support or object to a planning application, make sure that you quote the policy numbers from the Local Plan to support your stance, and be focused on your issues.

How to respond to planning applications: an 8 step guide is produced by Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) and the National Association of Local Councils (NALC).  Please click the link to go to the document on line.

 National Planning Policy Framework sets out the Governments planning policies and how they are expected to be applied.  It provides the framework within which local people and their accountable councils can produce their own local and neighbourhood plans.

 Do you need permission? What is permitted development?  These questions are clearly answered on the Planning Portal On this website you can click on the interactive property – detached house / terrace / flat / shop and this takes you to a quick visual guide to permitted development.  On the right hand side of the page are links to common projects undertaken.

The local planning authority which deals with day to day planning applications in Rugeley is Cannock Chase District Council.  They produce a weekly list of planning applications.  If you need to contact the local planning authority, please click on the link to go to their web pages, or call the main number: 01543 462621.  If you have concerns about strategic planning applications, minerals or waste applications or highways applications, you may need to contact Staffordshire County Council .


What is and what is not material consideration

What IS material consideration:

Overlooking / loss of privacy
Loss of light / overshadowing
Effect on listed buildings and conservation areas
Highways safety
Layout and density of development
Design / appearance / materials
Government Policy
Disabled persons access
Previous Planning decisions (including appeal decisions)
Nature conservation

What is NOT  material consideration:
Devaluation of property
Loss of private view
Breach of a restrictive covenant
Loss of business (ie from competition)
Disturbance caused by construction
Who the applicant or intended occupant is.